Recipes PROVENÇAL VEGGIE PASTA BAKE
PROVENÇAL VEGGIE PASTA BAKE
Mid-winter comfort food can still be good for you – simply include loads of veggies! We conjure up images of summer in the Med by packing this pasta bake with all the lovely sun-drenched flavours of Provence.
- WHAT YOU WILL NEED -
- FOR THE TOMATO SAUCE:
- FOR THE PASTA:
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- vegetable oil, for frying
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 10 courgettes (400g), sliced into 3mm thick rounds
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced into 1cm blocks
- 1 x 410g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 red pepper, diced into 1cm blocks
- 1 x 410g tin tomato puree
- 2 large aubergines, cut into small cubes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 10 pitted green olives, sliced
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp small capers
- 3 tsp Cape Herb & Spice SPRINKLE
- 400g rigatoni, cooked in plenty of well salted water until just el dente
- ¼ tsp dried chilli flakes
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- ¾ tsp salt AND ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup cream
- METHOD -
Start by making the tomato sauce. Fry the onion in a tablespoon of vegetable oil over low heat until soft. Add the garlic and fry for a further minute. Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree and tomato paste. Stir in the rest of the tomato sauce ingredients except the cream. Then, turn the heat to its lowest setting, pop the lid on and simmer the tomato sauce for 20 minutes. Following that, add the cream and simmer for a further five minutes.
Make the rest of the pasta dish while the tomato sauce is simmering. Fry the courgettes, peppers and aubergines in batches in a bit of vegetable oil until soft. Add the olives and capers to the veggies. Cook the rigatoni pasta until just el dente – it must have a slightly firm bite as it will continue cooking in the oven.
Combine the cooked pasta with the veggies and tomato sauce. Spoon into a large ovenproof dish. Top with the mozzarella and parmesan cheese and bake in a pre-heated 180 ˚C oven until golden and bubbly. Serve right away whilst piping hot.
Recipe concept & photography by Lizet Hartley.
Lizet Hartley is a freelance stills and reel food stylist, food photographer and recipe developer. In her spare time she – rather predictably – cooks. Get more of her recipes on her blog at http://www.melkkos-merlot.co.za
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
WINTER ROOT VEG BAKE
07 Jul 2023
Make the most of the fabulous root veg bounty that mid winter offers. Think potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes and parsni...
PROVENCAL VEGETABLE TIAN
27 Sep 2022
Packed with flavour, light and heart healthy – Mediterranean-inspired eating focused on veggies is perfect for the...
CACIO E PEPE
19 Jul 2022
The secret to making the tastiest meals? It's all in the spice. Picked from the uppermost branches of pepper tr...
ROAST VEGETABLE FETTUCCINE
01 Jun 2022
Fancy a pasta that’s packed with veggies and loaded with flavour? Then this recipe for oven-roast vegetable fettuc...