Recipes CHINESE 5 SPICE BEEF BALL SOUP
CHINESE 5 SPICE BEEF BALL SOUP
Feeling like a soup that’s just a little bit different? Then try our Cape Herb and Spice Chinese 5 Spice beef broth with beef balls. It’s light and healthy, but has a warming spicy kick – just perfect for a light winter lunch.
- WHAT YOU WILL NEED -
- FOR THE BEEF BALLS
- FOR THE BEEF AND VEGGIE BROTH
- 250g beef mince
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp finely grated ginger
- ½ cup sliced spring onion, white parts only (keep the green stalks for garnish)
- 1 tsp finely grated garlic
- 2 tsp Cape Herb and Spice CHINESE 5-SPICE
- 1 Tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 3cm piece of ginger, peeled and sliced very thinly
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 fat clove garlic, peeled and sliced very thinly
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 cups good beef stock (use fresh beef stock or a good liquid stock concentrate stock mixed with water)
- FOR THE BEEF AND VEGGIE BROTH CONTINUED
- 150-200g punnet button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 medium to mild red chilli, deseeded and sliced
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 lrg carrots, julienned
- punnet of bok choy, quartered
- salt, to taste
- METHOD -
Combine the beef ball ingredients, then scoop out tablespoon measures of the mince and roll into balls. Fry beef balls in a non-stick frying pan with a teeny splodge of oil and set aside.
Fry the spring onions over low heat in the vegetable and sesame oil for a minute or two until they start softening. Add the Cape Herb and Spice Chinese 5 Spice, ginger and garlic and fry for a further minute. Add the stock and button mushrooms, hoisin, honey and chilli. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Now add the browned off beef balls as well as the bok choy and carrots and cook briefly until veggies are done –it only takes about two minutes. Taste for salt and adjust as needed. Garnish with sliced green spring onion stalks and coriander.
Recipe concept & photography by Lizet Hartley.
Lizet Hartley is a freelance stills and reel food stylist, food photographer and recipe developer. In her spare time she – rather predictably – cooks. Get more of her recipes on her blog at http://www.melkkos-merlot.co.za
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
SPANISH CHORIZO BOWL
09 Jan 2020
Fresh, crunchy veggies may be the mainstay of bowl food, but that doesn’t mean rules cannot occasionally be broken...
TEXAN CHICKEN & SWEET POTATO BOWLS
30 Apr 2018
Health-nuts stand by...this one is right up your alley!
BLACK PEPPERED ASIAN NOODLES
30 Oct 2018
Quick and easy personified and you can personalise it by sticking with our vegetarian recipe suggestion, or adding a mea...
BUTTER CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
28 May 2020
Got some leftover roast chicken in the fridge? Turn it into a seriously scrummy chicken noodle soup with our incredibly...