Careers Raw Material Food Technologist
Raw Material Food Technologist
Dept: Quality Assurance
04 April 2022
Cape Herb & Spice has grown from entrepreneurial roots into a global FMCG player, employing over 500 people and operating across 3 sites in Cape Town. Centered around innovation and quality, Cape Herb and Spice gives any candidate a great opportunity to gain extensive international experience and build an exciting career.
- Ensuring that incoming materials purchased meet the required food safety, legal and quality requirements.
- Ensure that incoming raw materials are checked and tested in the expected time frame, to the expected standards and that the results of these tests are accurately reported to the organization. Any deviations must be reported promptly.
- Improve the lab organization, practices and flow of work to ensure that the lab processes are optimized.
Key Functional Areas:
- Assess incoming raw material documents to determine compliance. (COAs, test reports and other relevant incoming supplier documentation)
- Ensure that the incoming materials that require verification testing is sent for this testing timeously.
- Co-ordinate the incoming testing requirements
- Report on status of testing (Testing done internal and external) against the incoming standards within the organization and ensure that raw materials are timeously released.
- Uphold supplier incoming documentation in a neat and orderly manner.
- Ensure non-conformances are investigated, controlled and communicated timeously
- Actively take part in the update date and review of the raw material risk assessments & testing protocols to ensure that a suitable program of testing is in place for incoming raw materials.
- Non-conformances / Corrective action: Ensure that the NCR’s raised are reported internally and are accurately described to allow for communication with the relevant resolutions to be reached.
- Ensure lab equipment is well maintained and that they are calibrated according to defined schedules.
- Conduct Internal audits monthly.
- Supervise the incoming QC team
- Two Quality Controllers and 1 Sampler will be reporting into this role
- Ensure that the persons assigned to the tasks is well trained and capable in the testing requirements
- Update procedures and registers as needed for this activity
- Ensure that samples are tested regularly based on what has been received from incoming and pre-shipment
- Review test reports & verify these
- Ensure results are filed and saved
- Ensure that proficiency testing is performed as per the schedule
- Co-ordinate your staff’s work so that the team works efficiently and smoothly together
- Ensure that the staff reporting to you have the necessary tools to complete their jobs. Should any need be identified, these should be addressed timeously e.g. obtain quotes, and present to management for approval.
- Regularly check on your team to ensure that they perform their tasks correctly and accurately within the required time frames and take action should this not be the case.
- Ensure samples are retained and that they are neatly stored in a retrievable manner. Manage the retention room store & ensure that samples that need to be disposed of that are past their due date are correctly disposed.
- Where needed stand in as a QC should the team be severely short staffed
- Perform all supervisor tasks which include weekly wages / time keeping, developing suitable staff rosters, taking disciplinary action where needed, staff management, Ensuring staff reporting to you have a clear understanding of their job roles and responsibilities as well as ensuring that the
- Manage the consumables needed for this testing
- Conduct trending on the analysis performed
- Log non-conformities picked up from testing done & report these internally and where required externally to suppliers
- This role may require overtime from time to time.
Required Knowledge & Skills:
- Able to perform/partake regular tasting of products produced
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (in particular in English). Able to effectively communicate with staff at all levels
- Accurate and concise in work to ensure that information provided to others is accurate and clearly understandable
- Sound knowledge of micro-organisms, sampling techniques, lab techniques / process flows
- Good research skills
Required Prior Learning/ Experience
- B.Tech / Advanced Diploma Food Technology/ B. Sc Food Science / B. Sc Biotechnology or other relevant science related degree. Copies of qualifications must be submitted with a CV
- Minimum 2 years relevant industry experience
- Prior training in internal auditing or HACCP or BRC standard is an advantage
- Proficient in working in Microsoft programs (outlook, excel, word)
- Own reliable transport
- Detailed orientated
- Systematic way of thinking
- Passion for organisation
If you have not received a response within two weeks of application submission, kindly consider your application unsuccessful.
To consider any application for employment, we will have to process your personal information. The Protection of Personal Information Act, 4 of 2013 (POPIA), provides that when one processes another’s personal information, such collection, retention, dissemination and use of that person’s personal information must be done in a lawful and transparent manner.
To give effect to the above, we are required to provide you with information regarding the processing of your personal information. This information is recorded under the HR Processing Notice, which can be accessed and viewed on the Company website at https://www.libstar.co.za/legal/. Printed copies of this Processing Notice can also be accessed from the HR department. We kindly request that you read the HR Processing Notice to ensure that you understand how Libstar uses and processes your personal information.
HR Contact:Mary-Rose Wrigley