Careers Junior Food Technologist (12 month contract)
Junior Food Technologist (12 month contract)
Dept: Quality Assurance
21 October 2020
Cape Herb and Spice has grown from entrepreneurial roots into a global player, employing over 500 people and operating over 3 sites in Cape Town. Centered around innovation and quality, Cape Herb and Spice gives any candidate a great opportunity to gain extensive experience and build an exciting career.
Purpose of the job:
To ensure that the quality and food safety systems in place are adhered to. To ensure that customer complaints are investigated quickly and accurately. To report any failures in adherence to the QA Manager. To help maintain and develop (driving continuous improvement) the food safety systems at Cape Herb and Spice.
1. Environmental Swabbing and Testing: Conduct swabbing according to schedule and arrange testing with the relevant laboratories
2. Review testing results against specification
3. As required assist the Food Technologist in sending out COA’s and COC’s to customers as requested.
4. Allergen Swabbing: Conduct allergen swabbing according to schedule and log results
5. As required assist the Food Technologist in conducting and logging GMP audits
6. Assist the Food Technologist in Customer Complaint: investigations, log and report on customer complaints accurately and quickly
7. Ensure that all internal non-conformances are logged and accurately described. Contact internal parties necessary to ensure that Non-conformances are communicated, and necessary action taken. Ensure that information is submitted for timeous close out of non-conformities.
8. Verify and sign-off QC records daily
9. Daily Cleaning Chemical Verifications
10. HACCP Team activities – form part of the HACCP team, conduct activities as required by the HACCP team leader. Asist in reviewing and improving the food safety and quality management system in place at Cape Herb and Spice.
11. Providing the Operational Department with support
12. Technical day to day problem solving
13. Assisting in conducting Customer required Traceability, mock recalls and mass balances
14. Ensuring verification activities are completed in accordance with procedures: Ensure that verification activities are performed at the required frequency e.g. swabbing cleaning equipment monthly, conducting air testing or water testing Assist as needed the QC supervisor with these tasks
15. In all cases report any non-conformances & problems noted with urgency to management to allow resolution. Suggest corrections and corrective actions when reporting non-conformities as far as possible.
16. Projects – run and set up projects as required from time to time
17. Respond to and assist with general customer queries
• Food Technology Degree or Equivalent
• Knowledge of HACCP and GMPs
• Medium Microsoft Office skills
Qualities and Attributes required:
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills (in particular in English). Able to effectively communicate with staff at all levels
• Strong research and analytical skills
• Proactive work ethic
• Strong attention to detail
• Apply urgency in work done – report faults urgently
• A willingness to listen
• Ability to meet deadlines
• Strong ability to multitask with an emphasis on collective, collaborative teamwork.
• Ability to organize yourself and others
• Follows rules and requirements, works within a framework of rules
HR Contact:Mary-Rose Wrigley