Careers Food Technologist
Dept: Quality Assurance
Location: Capricorn Park, Muizenberg
09 March 2021
• To oversee the food safety and quality management system at the tea plant.
• To ensure that the procedures in place are adhered to and implemented and update and improve these as necessary.
Key Position Objective:
Ensure that an adequate food safety and quality system is in place within the tea plant and ensure that the requirements of the system are adhered to and fully implemented.
Meet internal quality and food safety team goals / objectives set.
Key Functional Areas:
• Day-to-day technical problem solving and support
• Testing of incoming raw materials and pre-shipments & ensuring related supplier quality assurance documents are in place and maintained / up to date for raw materials.
• Management of Supplier Approval procedure
• Implement and maintain testing schedules on raw materials, work-in-progress and final products
• Reporting results of tests within the organization
• Supervision of tea tastings for in-process products & regularly tasting of tea products.
• Ensuring an adequate allergen management system is implemented.
• Investigating and managing non-conformances and corrective actions to audit outcomes and closing out by given due dates (BRC, Organic, Customer).
• From time to time this role may include conducting complaint investigations.
• Acting as HACCP site Team Leader for the Tea Plant including leading team meetings.
• Conducting internal audits.
• Leading external audits for the site.
• Developing specifications and performing tasks related to the upkeep of the food safety and quality management system.
• Act as Hygiene Officer for the site.
• Supervision and Authorisation of freezing procedure verification.
• Ensuring traceability studies, mass balances and mock recalls are conducted and implemented as per schedule.
• Conduct validation studies on metal detectors and other defined steps in the process.
• Quality control, cleaning staff and one food technologist will report into this position.
• Liaising with Woolworths technical team and ensuring necessary technical information is maintained on WW’s FPI site.
• Ensuring procedures and documents are at all times valid and updated.
• B.Tech Food Technology/ B.Sc Food Science or other relevant science related degree, Copies of qualifications must be submitted with a CV
• 2 years + industry experience
• Proficient in working with Microsoft programs (outlook, excel, word)
• Own reliable transport
• Detail orientated
• Ability to work independently
• Ability to work systematically
• Have a passion for organisation
HR Contact:Mary-Rose Wrigley