Careers Product Developer
Dept: New Product Development
Location: Capricorn Park, Muizenberg
06 May 2021
The Tea Division of Cape Herb & Spice is looking for a dynamic project manager to lead tea, and herb & spice projects for a key local customer as well as help grow the tea business internationally by working closely with customers across the globe, with a common goal to deliver innovative tea, and herb & spice products which South Africa has to offer.
Challenges abound in this fast-paced role that offers the opportunity to learn about international business, food and what it takes to be at the top of your industry.
Key Position Objective:
To co-ordinate and successfully execute the development process on launches of sustainable new products and ranges within the agreed time frame, ensuring organoleptic, regulatory, legislative and operational compliance ensuring effective communication both inter-departmentally as well as with the customer.
Continuously update and maintain processes, specifications, labelling, procedures etc. in line with changing customer and legislative or regulatory requirements.
To research and keep abreast of the trends and regulations within the categories that we play and apply them where necessary and applicable.
Key Functional Areas:
• Keep abreast of, and research new concepts, trends, market activity and innovation within the tea and herb and spice categories
• Develop successful, commercially viable products that are sustainable and in line with the trends and intended target market
• Manage and execute all stages of the product development process within given deadlines
• Ensure product conforms to country specific regulations on product and packaging
• Manage sustainable sourcing of new raw materials and packaging from compliant suppliers
• Ensure NPD tea compliance to continuously updated certifications
• Liaison between customer and internal operational departments on all new projects to ensure effective launches
• Schedule, lead and monitor customer weekly meetings and minutes
• On-time product launches
• Effective execution of launches within internal departments
• Either an equivalent of the below degrees and 3-5 years’ experience or 5-10 years’ experience will be recognized
o Food Technology
o Food Science
o BCom in Marketing/ Business
• Advantageous experience in:
o Customer account management
o Project management
o Product Development
• Experience in developments for export including legislation will be highly advantageous
• Fluency with excel
• Deadline driven
• Commercially minded
• High attention to detail
• A passionate and knowledgeable foodie
• A good communicator
• A creative thinker
• Team player
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Optimistic solution finder
HR Contact:Mary-Rose Wrigley