Careers NPD Food Technologist
NPD Food Technologist
19 May 2022
Cape Herb & Spice has grown from entrepreneurial roots into a global FMCG player, employing over 500 people and operating across 3 sites in Cape Town. Centered around innovation and quality, Cape Herb and Spice gives any candidate a great opportunity to gain extensive international experience and build an exciting career.
This is a highly technical role in which the NPD technologist is involved in the execution of the product development process.
- Ensure execution of the product development process within given deadlines ensuring product conforms to country specific regulations on product and packaging and all stages are accurately completed and recorded.
Key Functional Areas:
- Create raw material buying specifications
- Review technical supplier documentation on new suppliers / raw materials required in new developments. Liaise with suppliers on CHS requirements.
- Create finished product and in process specifications
- On-going review of labels and specifications (final product and in process specifications)
- Conduct factory trials and travel tests as required
- Review of product labels for legislative and customer compliance. Must have a strong capability to research and interpret legislation for multiple markets e.g., South African, USA, Australia, Europe
- Technical support to other departments: QA, Operations and Sales alike
- Thorough communication (relating to new products) between internal departments
- Meticulous execution of development department procedures
- Ensure product detail on internal system, in departments and on shared drive are all accurate and product is as per customer requirement
- Conduct annual shelf-life testing as set out in the shelf-life schedule.
- Execute technical projects as set out by the Senior NPD Technologist.
- Executing the Supplier Quality Assurance process.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Proficient in MS Office
- Syspro experience advantageous
- BRC / audit experience advantageous
- Experience and knowledge with international labelling regulations advantageous
- Excellent verbal and written communication in English
- Strong admin and analytical ability
- Strong project management and coordination skill
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team
Required Prior Learning/Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree / Advanced Diploma Tertiary qualification in Food Science, Food Technology, Consumer Science
- Minimum 1-2 years’ experience in an NPD Food Technologist role
- Own transport between sites necessary
- A sense of urgency
- Dynamic & quick thinking
- High attention to detail
- Ability to perform under pressure
- Proactive, team orientated and enthusiastic
- Optimistic & positive outlook
- Eager to learn and develop skills
- Passion for food and cookery will be advantageous
- Reliable, honest, and courteous
If you have not received a response within two weeks of application submission, kindly consider your application unsuccessful.
To consider any application for employment, we will have to process your personal information. The Protection of Personal Information Act, 4 of 2013 (POPIA), provides that when one processes another’s personal information, such collection, retention, dissemination and use of that person’s personal information must be done in a lawful and transparent manner.
To give effect to the above, we are required to provide you with information regarding the processing of your personal information. This information is recorded under the HR Processing Notice, which can be accessed and viewed on the Company website at https://www.libstar.co.za/legal/. Printed copies of this Processing Notice can also be accessed from the HR department. We kindly request that you read the HR Processing Notice to ensure that you understand how Libstar uses and processes your personal information.
HR Contact:Mary-Rose Wrigley