Careers Development Technologist- Sauces
Development Technologist- Sauces
Dept: New Product Development
Location: Plattekloof or Montagu
05 March 2020
Cape Herb and Spice has grown from entrepreneurial roots into a global player, employing over 500 people and operating over 3 sites in Cape Town. Centered around innovation and quality, Cape Herb and Spice gives any candidate a great opportunity to gain extensive experience and build an exciting career.
Cape Herb & Spice is looking for a Development Technologist to fulfill a new and exciting role developing sauces suitable for the export markets within the structure of Montagu Foods (sister company). The role focuses on developing products according to various export customer’s requirements and expressing foodie flair in creating clean label, trend-forward concepts.
This position will be in Plattekloof or Montagu and will require periodic travel to Westlake. After 1 year the location of the position will be reviewed.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Grow sustainable, profitable product ranges by interpreting customer needs, trends and innovations and translate them into successful product launches or upgrades.
• Execute the product development process within given deadlines, ensuring product conforms to country specific legislation as well as customer specific regulations on product and packaging.
• All stages of the development process to be followed and filed meticulously
• This procedure involves:
o FSSC compliance (with BRC knowledge)
o Recipe development and tastings
o Raw material costings
o Supplier interaction and sourcing
o Factory implementation in terms of factory trials and travel tests
o Artwork approvals according to food labelling legislation
o Specification generation and maintenance
• Technical support to both QA department and sales teams alike
• Play your role in maintaining the compliance to Cape Herb & Spice and Montagu Foods certifications
• Effective execution of launches through thorough communication, consultation and involvement of internal CHS & MF departments.
• Please note that on occasion you may be required to perform tasks that are not part of your normal daily duties but may be necessary due to the operational requirements of the company.
Degree/Diploma in Food Technology or Food Science
Experience in developments for export including legislation will be highly advantageous.
Qualities and attributes required
-The ability to apply principles of basic sensory analysis
-A self starter
-Deadline driven with good time management skills
-High attention to detail
-Good project management skills
-A passionate foodie
-A good communicator
-A creative thinker
-Strong interpersonal skills
-Optimistic solution finder
-Own transport necessary
HR Contact:Mary-Rose Wrigley
Telephone:021 701 5140